Saturday, August 7, 2010

THE ZOO!

You aren't human if you don't love the zoo.  Yeah, I feel bad for the animals.  But think about it this way; the animals live their whole lives scavenging for food and protecting their young.  What does the zoo do for the animals?  Feed them and give them protection.  Perfect.

I just realized how dumb the above paragraph is.  Oh well.


ANYWAY, Brett and I went to the zoo.  And it rocked.  Nothing really gives me that same excitement that I get from looking a lazy lion in the eyes :)  We saw all kinds of insane animals.  Huge twelve-foot crocodiles, exotic big cats (white tiger, regular tiger, jaguar, lion, the leopard was hiding), elephants, big ol' rhinos, monkeys and giraffes were some of the token animals we saw.  There was one area that housed 100 baboons, it was huge!  Some lesser known, yet still awesome animals were wallabys, tree-kangaroos, and KOMODO DRAGONS.  Yeah, dragons.  But nothing can top the orangutans.  Or the ring-tailed lemurs.  The orangutans had a giant tree-filled area all to themselves.  I don't really know why I thought they were so awesome, they just were.  Check out the video below.

And the lemurs were AWESOME.  We were in an enclosed area where all of the animals ran free; thats where we met all of the 'King Julians' (some little kid kept saying 'mom, look at all the King Julians!'  Its from the movie Madagascar).  They were climbing all over the place within half an arms length.  It was tight.  I got some alright pics but their movement was so darty that it was kinda tough :(



After the main zoo, Brett and I downed a family feast from KFC and headed to the night safari.  It was basically the zoo with nocturnal animals; hyenas, tigers, etc.  And lots of different types of deer and pigs. I said to Brett, "Not super impressed with the night safari; if I want to see any deer or pigs I'll just go home."  Good ol' Iowa.  

Check out all 144 zoo pics here.

No comments:

Post a Comment